Cuba is a wonderful place: Paradise beaches, impressive natural spaces, a rich cultural architectural heritage and above all, an island full of welcoming, friendly and cheerful good people.
That is why we love that you come on a trip to the island, because we know that the experience of traveling to Cuba will be unique and unrepeatable.
Before embarking on the trip to Cuba, we will give you a series of tips or recommendations so you can come to the island just to enjoy and avoid any setbacks.
Tips for traveling to Cuba carefree
1 What official documents must you have "in order" to travel to Cuba?
To visit Cuba without any possible objection, you need:
- Flight ticket (round trip)
- Valid passport with a minimum validity of 6 months from entry to Cuba
- Tourist visa (mandatory document for all citizens not born in the country.From the date of your arrival in Cuba, your stay permit is 30 days) or, failing that, a visa issued by the corresponding Cuban consular authorities in accordance with the activities to be carried out in this country and for the duration of the entire stay
- Proof of having contracted travel insurance for medical coverage (mandatory since 2010)
You don't need any special vaccination to travel to the island, so you can spare yourself the pin prick
3. Health system in Cuba
In Cuba, health care is good, but we could not compare it to the european one, for example
If you are in Cuba and have a health problem, most hotels have specialists there. On the island, the best clinics are those that serve the wealthy people of Cuba and tourists. The downside is that you have to pay for health care and normally the bill is expensive. They won't let you out of the country until you have paid that bill,
If you need medication, sometimes it can be difficult to find, so if you have a specific need, you better bring it from home.
As a last tip on health: it is better not to drink water from the taps on the island, since it is not drinkable, although the Cubans drink it. If you boil it, you can drink it. Otherwise, it is always better to drink bottled water.
4. Safety in Cuba
Cuba is one of the safest countries in Latin America. There are many policemen in the streets to ensure security, whether uniformed or undercover. Thefts are infrequent but in order to avoid them, it is better not to be away from city centre at night or in remote sites, as can also happen in Europe
5. Be patient with Cubans
As the saying goes: «palace things, go slowly». Before coming to the island, you have to accept that things will not go as fast as you would like, so embrace patience. You can expect from queues that you will find when arriving at the airport, to unforeseen events on the island (such as water cuts in hotels, or shortage of some food). But despite everything, what you have to enjoy is the warmth and joy of the Cubans.
7. Money in Cuba
7. Means of transport in Cuba
These are the most common ones:
- Official taxis are more modern yellow vehicles with air conditioning and more expensive rates.
- Private taxis, are private vehicles of "cuentapropistas" (self-employed) with license.
- Collective local taxis or "máquinas" are old American cars with taxi symbols on the roof, the rates are lower, and several people can climb. They are not supposed to accept tourists, but all tourists use them.
8. Using your mobile phone in Cuba
We do not recommend using your mobile phone beyond wifi connections in authorized places. Roaming rates are very high with Cuba.
You can, on the other hand, have a 3G mobile, activate a Cuban line at the offices of ETECSA (approximately 40 cuc) and buy a navigation package (600 megabytes for approximately 7 cuc).
We also recommend that you bring from home:
- Sunscreen and anti-mosquito (even for plugs).
- Anti-diarrheal and oral rehydration serum.
- Tissues because in many bathrooms there is usually no paper.
- Sanitary towels and tampons and diapers, as they are not easy to buy.
- Flat plug adapter
You have no excuse for not coming to Cuba!
Knowing all these tips ... the only thing left is to get your personalised trip to Cuba
From CubaUnique, we will tailor your trip and we will advise you in these and many other aspects of Cuba, because what we want is that you enjoy the island to the fullest and that you get to love this beautiful land and its people.
You dare? Cuba awaits you! Enjoy it!